Dennis Wolfberg, who played the part of Gooshie on Quantum Leap was a talented and funny stand-up comedian and actor.
|Born:||March 29, 1946|
|Birthplace:||Long Island, New York, U.S.]|
|Died||October 3, 1994(aged 48)|
|Deathplace:||Culver City, California, U.S.|
|Years active:||1970-1994, his death|
|Appeared on:||Quantum Leap|
Born in Long Island, New York, Wolfberg taught 5th grade at P.S. 71 in the northeast Bronx and in the south Bronx before leaving for a full-time comedy career in 1979.  Wolfberg attended Queens College, where he received a master's degree in clinical psychology.
Dennis married fellow comedian Jeannie McBride in 1985. The couple had three sons.
Dennis was a frequent guest on both The Tonight Show and The Merv Griffin Show. He starred in his own half-hour comedy special on HBO in 1990. He also had a recurring role as Gooshie on NBC's Quantum Leap, and in April 1993 Entertainment Tonight (ET) aired "A Day in the Life of Dennis Wolfberg," focusing on his relentless touring schedule.
He appeared at comedy clubs across the country, and he was twice named America's top male comic in votes by clubgoers and owners nationwide. In 1990 he won an American Comedy Award as best male standup.
Wolfberg died of cancer on October 3, 1994. Though he battled cancer for at least two years, he continued to work through the end of August 1994. At the time of his death from melanoma, he was negotiating a deal for his own TV show.
Filmography & TV AppearancesEdit
- Comedy Club Greats (2007)
- Best of the Improv Volume 4 (2002)
- Comic Strip Live!
- The Clairvoyant - Comedian (1982) - aka The Killing Hour (1985) (USA: video title), aka The Killing Kind (1985) (USA: video title)
- Late Night with David Letterman - Guest - 860428 (1986)
- Quantum Leap
- - Gooshie - "Genesis" - (1989)
- - Gooshie - "The Leap Back" (1991)
- - Gooshie - "Lee Harvey Oswald" (1992)
- - Gooshie - "Killin' Time" (1992)
- - Gooshie - "Mirror Image" (1993)
- The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Guest - Show #4488 (1992)
- To Tell the Truth- panelist-April 29-May 3, 1991 week of shows.
- Teacher Teacher (1990) (TV short), Plot Outline: Wolfberg relived some of his finest moments as a teacher, and proves that in a tough classroom, a good sense of humor is the most essential weapon.
- Frank Chindamo's Shorts - A collection of Frank Chindamo's comic short subjects, which explore modern mishaps related to such subjects as phone sex, radio psychology, jelly donuts, styling mousse, angry cats, blind dates, bondage, and Gilbert Gottfried with x-ray vision.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dennis Wolfberg, Comedian, 44, Dies. New York Times (October 5, 1994). Retrieved on February 23, 2012.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dennis Wolfberg; Gifted Stand-Up Comic Was 48. Los Angeles Times (October 5, 1994). Retrieved on February 23, 2012.